Saturday, April 9, 2011

Observing the Empowerment of Students

   The other day when I was observing one of the classrooms for a practicum, the students were to use the computer to create PowerPoint presentations.  Because I recently had just created my first PowerPoint, I wanted to observe closely their techniques.  I was amazed!
   First, I must preface that the students in this class are considered to be challenged and have low performance levels.  Some of the students are repeating the 7th grade, have 504's, and behavioral problems.  If I did not know these diagnoses, I would have thought this particular class would have been considered normal to high achievers this particular day. 
   When the students were asked to retrieve their computers, they did so mannerly.  The students pulled out their personal data keys and plugged them into the computers.  There was silence and ALL students were on task.  When a student had a problem, they asked their fellow classmates to help them.  There was no protest about helping each other.  Their was empowerment and self confidence with every student.
   Watching these students who are considered to be low achievers manipulate the keyboards and mouse pads was amazing.  Their little fingers quickly went through different windows as they explained what they were doing to help out their peers.  When class was over, they saved their added work, safely put away their computers, and were EXCITED about the work they had completed.  THAT is why I want to be a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment