Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cell Phone Use in the Classroom

   One of my fellow classmates from EDUC 3010/3022 was telling me that one of the teachers she is doing an observation under allows her students to use their cell phones during class.  However, the use has to be for classroom assignments and discussion.  There are not enough computers in the school for her students to use on a daily basis.  The students are so thrilled about being able to use their phones for educational purposes that they don't want to be bothered with the frivolous texting. 
   I don't know if this could be done with all students.  I know that some will abuse this privelege.  They will not only text in class, but will try and find inappropriate items on the Internet via their phones and share this with their classmates.  I have seen students try and do this with the school's computers in the classrooms.  I walk by, and they are pulling up VERY NEGATIVE images and videos.  These are the bad apples that spoil the possible use of cell phones for educational purposes for the rest of the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment