Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Explaining the Computer to Grandma

   So in an online meeting tonight, I received a phone call from my grandmother.  I asked her if I could call her back, and that I was in a meeting.  Sweetly, she said, "Certainly."  When I returned her phone call, she asked if I was at home.  I said yes.  Then she asked how could I have been in a meeting while I was at home.  I tried to explain the fantastic use of the Internet to her...she wasn't thrilled.  She is real cute when she gets frustrated.  If I could have been in the room with her, I know her hands would be flung over her head, accompanied with some cute little saying and maybe a word that can't be repeated on a public blog.
   Her comment is always about how she doesn't understand any of "that new stuff."  She was a teacher in the 1960's.  She says how she didn't have to learn what we are learning now in order to teach.  All she had to do was teach in a school for a year, and then she would receive her teaching license (she already had a degree in music).   I tell her every time I visit that schools and education  are much different than they were fifty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment